The Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences was established in 1957. The initiative originated from Mikhail Lavrentyev, Sergei Sobolev and Sergei Khristianovich. Mikhail Lavrentyev became its founding chairman. The Siberian Branch incorporates the organizations of the Russian Academy of Sciences located in Siberia.
The organizations within the Siberian branch include fundamental and applied research institutions and production facilities of the Russian Academy of Sciences and service departments that support the infrastructure of research centers established in multiple locations all over the territory of Siberia.