Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences was established in 1957. The initiative originated from Mikhail Lavrentyev, Sergei Sobolev and Sergei Khristianovich. Mikhail Lavrentyev became its founding chairman. The Siberian Branch incorporates the organizations of the Russian Academy of Science located in Siberia.
The organizations within the Siberian branch include fundamental and applied research institutions and production facilities of the Russian Academy of Sciences and service departments that support the infrastructure of research centers established in multiple locations all over the territory of Siberia.
Research centers are established in Novosibirsk, Tomsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk, Yakutsk, Ulan-Ude, Kemerovo, Tyumen, and Omsk, some of the research institutions are located in Barnaul, Biisk, Chita and Kyzyl. The Siberian Branch encompasses 86 research institutions and federal research centers working in different areas of physical, mathematical, chemical, and biological sciences, Earth sciences, humanities, economical, medical and agricultural sciences (see the searchable database SB RAS Organizations). The central location of the Siberian Branch is Novosibirsk.
The Siberian Branch has 11345 researchers (data refer to the December 2017), of whom 210 are members of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2410 hold the degree of Doctor of Sciences and 6176 hold the Ph.D. degree (data refer to the May 2018).
Interview with academician Alexander
(the interview was recorded at the First International Forum on Nanotechnologies, Moscow, taking place in December, 2008).
Meeting of Consultative Scientific Council “Skolkovo”, May 17-18, 2012, Novosibirsk
Academician A.L. Aseev, Chair of Siberian Branch of RAS:
Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences: Status, Research and Development