Institute of economics and industrial engineering is the first academical scientific organization of economical profile to the East of Ural.
Institute of economics and Statistics was organized by the decree of Presidium of USSR Academy of Sciences from 7 June 1957. In May of 1958 Institute was renamed to the Institute of Economics and Industrial Engineering.
First Director was Corresponding Member of USSR Academy of Sciences Prudenskij German Alekseevich. In 1967 Academician Aganbegjan Abel Gezevich was appointed as a director. From 1985 to 1991 director was Academician Granberg Aleksandr Grigorjevich. From 1991 till now director is Corresponding Member of Russian Academy of Sciences Kuleshov V.V.